Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Angkor Temples in Cambodia

After my dive class on the coast of Cambodia I took a 13 hour bus ride to the city of Siem Reap, it is the city close to the Angkor temples, which are basically the national symbol of the country.  It is an area where there are maybe 15 to 20 temples clustered together.  There were built by the Khmer people over 1000 years ago.  The temples are both Buddhist and Hindu and are a real source of pride for the people of Cambodia.  I met a few friends in Siem Reap and for two days we biked around and looked at temples.  It was really beautiful, not only the temples, the area was really nice there were lots of trees so it made for really nice biking.  I probably did over 60K in 2 days.  The temples were really impressive when you considered the size and limited technology when they were built.  I don't have a ton to say but will let my pictures do the talking. 




Sometimes I like to get day drunk while visiting temples


This was a temple with over 200 of these large smiling faces


Big scale pic of the smiling faces temple

This was one of the gates surrounding one of the temples

Can you spot the insect?

One of the temples, instead of restoring, let nature sort of take over - it was one of my favorites.

 

No comments: