Friday, March 22, 2013

Gricklegrass Granola

I plan on posting a few more blog posts on my recent travel adventures but wanted to do a quick post because I found a good granola recipe.  I am back to wwoofing again.  I am at an intentional community in the Christchurch area called Gricklegrass.  I have only been here a few days so far and have done some fun things; made home made peanut butter, braided garlic, made feta, and some odds and ends with the animals and gardens.  One of my favorite things is there is a milking cow.  I can't wait to get one!!  It opens up the door to fresh raw milk, cheeses, cream, butter etc.  But more on that stuff later here is the granola recipe - I enjoy it with some yogurt and a spoonful of cream.

Gricklegrass Granola
Dry ingredients
6 and 1/2 cups of rolled oats
1 cup coconut
1 and 1/2 cups nuts (can be any kind example: hazelnuts and almonds)
1 and 1/2 cups mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame)

Mix together in a large roasting tin

Wet Ingredients   
1/2 cup butter (can use any oil, I would also recommend coconut)
3 Tbs honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp of mixed spices (ginger, cardamom, nutmeg etc)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions
Heat wet ingredients in a small saucepan until melted together, then pour over dry ingredients.  Toast in oven at 160 degrees C (325 F) for one hour stirring every ten minutes.

When cool add 1 and 1/2 cups of dried fruit of your choice (raisins, apples, pineapple) add linseed if desired.  Store in a large glass jar.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am planning to WWOOF at Gricklegrass in March! Where else have you WWOOFED?

Melody said...

I have only WWOOFed in New Zealand - mostly on the North Island but a few places on the south island. I spent some time near Abel Tasman and an orchard called Windsong Orchards in Renwick. If you go to Gricklegrass let me know if there is a cow named Melody!!