Monday, November 5, 2012

Reflection Times

If you haven't been keeping track - I have been away from Olympia for 7 months now.  Honestly the time has, for the most part, gone by pretty quickly.  When I left I had bought a one way ticket with not really any solid plans for when I was coming back.  Recently,  I have decided to come home when my visa in in New Zealand runs out, in April.  The major reasons that made that decision are 1) my sister, who is now about 3 and 1/2 months pregnant, is due in April, 2) I don't really want to spend the money on plane tickets and visas to go to Australia, and 3) I think the real kicker is that I feel like I have done what I set out to do.  When I was in Olympia I felt in a real dead end with what I was doing with my life.  I couldn't see myself at the job I was currently at for 30 years.  The idea of that felt scary and wrong.  Now I feel like my life is full of possibilities.  I could become a certified permaculturalist, I could own and run a farm, I could educate people about eating local and growing their own food.  I could work outside.  So many options and all of them sound awesome to me.  But right now, I miss home.  I miss my family, I miss my friends, I miss having a kitchen, I miss my bike.  If it were summer in Washington I would probably come home and continue to WWOOF there.  But considering it is just becoming summer here and just turning to winter I am going to stay.  I think despite my homesickness it will actually be a lot of fun.  So far the south island is beautiful and my wwoofing jobs continue to change with the seasons.  I have also planned a Christmas with a Kiwi family of a friend I met at Wilderland.  There is this really cool festival I have been planning to go to in January called Luminate with music every night and healthy living classes during the day.  I hope everyone back home is having a lovely fall.  I will do more updates when I can.  Much love.   

1 comment:

Farmer's Veggie Wife said...

I know this was posted awhile ago, but I really like this post. I like that you feel you have a better sense of what you want to do with your life. You should check out the Young Farmer's Coalition in Washington. I think you could just google that but they have some pretty amazing things going on and are a group of people I can really see you being involved with. They are based in Olympia, which is why I haven't gotten involved but I have always wanted to...even though Tyler is the real farmer, not me. :)